In retrospect, I probably worded this poll wrong. I should have made it “most important win” instead of “biggest win.” Oops. Navy’s had some big wins over the last few years. Some didn’t quite make the list: the 2002 Meadowlands Massacre, Vanderbilt in 2003 & 2004, Colorado State in the 2005 Poinsettia Bowl, East Carolina & Stanford in 2006, and Pittsburgh from last year, to name a few. In fact, I probably should have included at least one game against Army on the list, if only out of respect for the rivalry. But oh well. That’s what “other” is for, should you be inclined to vote that way.
Here’s the list of candidates for Navy’s biggest win of the last 5 years:
- Wake Forest, 2008: The highest-ranked team that Navy’s defeated in this period.
- Notre Dame, 2007: I assume this one doesn’t require explanation.
- Air Force, 2003: The first ranked team that Navy beat in this period. Also, the game that broke Fisher DeBerry.
- Rutgers, 2004: Kyle Eckel might still be running.
- New Mexico, 2004: Not only a bowl win, but the tenth win of the season, which propelled Navy into the top 25.